The Orange Grove Volunteer Fire Company is honored to announce that one of our Firefighters received the Order of the Long Leaf Pine award. Dr. Tom Griggs received the award on January 30, 2013. The Order of the Long Leaf Pine is among the most prestigious awards presented by the Governor of North Carolina. The Order of the Long Leaf Pine is presented to individuals who have a proven record of extraordinary service to the state. Contributions to their communities, extra effort in their careers, and many years of service to their organizations are some of the guidelines by which recipients are selected for this award. A state employee can be awarded The Order if the employee has contributed more than 30 years of dedicated and enthusiastic service to the state of North Carolina.
Dr. Griggs joined the Orange Grove Volunteer Fire Company December 9, 1975 and is still an active member. He is a very valued and respected member of the department. Dr. Griggs is a great asset and resource to not only the Fire Department operations but to the membership and to his community.
The following are some of Dr. Griggs present and past organizations and positions:
- Medical Director North Carolina Highway Patrol
- North Carolina Alcohol Law Enforcement Officer (ALE)
- Chapel Hill Police Department
- Orange Grove Fire Department
- Former member of South Orange Rescue Squad
- Former member Carrboro Fire Department
- Former Medical Director of Orange County Emergency Service
- Former Medical Control Officer for Carolina Air Care UNC Hospitals
- Professor, Division of Cardiology, Department of Medicine at UNC Hospitals
Congratulations Dr. Griggs from the membership of the Orange Grove Volunteer Fire Company.